Summary: Use WebFiles to host a simple Web site. Create the HMTL files in another program and upload them to your WebFiles account.
First, create your public web directory.
- Login to WebFiles with your UCInetID and password at https://webfiles.uci.edu
- In your Home directory, click on the New Folder icon on the upper right.
- In the “Folder Name:” field, type www
- Click OK
Next, share your web directory.
To allow people to view your web site, you need to “share” the directory or set the permissions.
- Right-click in the Shared With column next to your www directory and choose "Manage" and "Permissions".
- In the Public row, check the Viewer box. When asked if these permissions should applied to files and folders in the directory, click "OK".
Leave the rest of the permissions unchecked.
- Click Apply
- This directory is now publicly viewable.
Finally, upload some HTML files.
- Return to your “www” directory.
- Click the Upload icon in the upper right.
- Click on the Browse button to navigate to your HTML files.
- Select a file to upload. If you wish to upload more than one file, use the "Add file" to create new Browse buttons.
- You should be sure that one of the files you upload is called "index.html" - that will be the main page visitors will see. It can link to the other files you upload.
- When you are ready, click "Start Upload".
You now have the beginnings of your own simple Web site. Your Web address (URL) will be something like: http://webfiles.uci.edu/ucinetid/www/ (Replace ucinetid with your UCInetID.)
Note: WebFiles does not support dynamic Web pages using PHP, .NET, CGIs, PERL or ColdFusion.