When accessing Web sites, this is the recommended tool. The “Application Access” function is not enabled. If you need to access restricted UCI resources other than Web pages, please use the Software VPN provided by OIT.
A few web sites do not work with the WebVPN. If you cannot access a site via the WebVPN, please use Software VPN.
Before You Begin
The WebVPN service is a clientless, Web-based version of VPN, built to be compatible with as many different computers as possible. However, there are a few basic requirements:
- A connection to the Internet
- Cookies enabled on browser
- A WebVPN supported Web browser. Most recent browsers should work.
Do not use the WebVPN service to connect to banking, financial, or other Web pages where you have to enter personal information (name, address, social security number, banking login and password, etc). The WebVPN service intercepts any certificates from the Web site, which prevents your browser from checking the certificates for validity.
- Using your Web browser, go to https://webvpn.uci.edu/
- Login with your UCInetID and password. Click Login.
- In the WebVPN window, you may choose a Library resource from the Web Bookmarks list or type in an address in the Address field.
(This will connect through UCI’s VPN allowing you to access UCI restricted resources and encrypting the network traffic. )
Note: Only Web pages browsed from the UCI Library Online Resources link or entered in the provided “Enter Web Address” fields use the WebVPN.
- If you clicked the UCI Library Online Resources link, you will see the following page. Browse to the resource you need or use the Search feature. If you need help, you can use the “Ask a Librarian” feature.
Note: The Library Web page is being passed through the WebVPN, as shown in the address bar. The browser toolbar will be in the right top corner. See more information on the Browser toolbar below.
- If you typed in a Web address, the Web site you requested will appear in your browser window. If you look at the address bar in your browser, you will notice that the address is being passed through UCI’s VPN.
The browser toolbar will also appear in the right corner of the browser window.
- To visit another restricted site, click the Go To Address button in the browser toolbar. If you type in a Web address directly in the browsers’s address field you will be logged out of the WebVPN.
- When you are done using the WebVPN, click the Exit icon [ X ] to log out.