Use the directions below to set up your software to check UCI’s OIT MailBox Services email (aka Webmail). If you are using UCI Gmail, please stop and consult these instructions instead.
Apple has streamlined the process so you no longer need to specify port numbers and protocols (e.g. 993, SSL)
- Select the Apple icon in the upper-left of your screen and select System Preferences.
- Select Internet Accounts.
- Select Add Other Account.
- Select Mail account.
- In the window that appears, enter your Name, email address (UCInetID@uci.edu) and then enter your password. Then, select Sign In.
- On the next page, re-enter your UCInetID for the username (the field will show your UCInetID@uci.edu email address as the username, so just delete it out and replace it with just your UCInetID). Make sure IMAP is selected for Account Type.
- Incoming Mail Server should read imap.uci.edu and Outgoing Mail Server should read smtp.uci.edu. Select Sign In to complete the setup.
- Select Done and then close System Preferences.
- Open Apple Mail and after a moment, your email should appear.
Troubleshooting Issues Sending Email
If you are unable to send email, please confirm your SMTP settings are correct. Bear in mind that if you recently updated your password on activate.uci.edu, you need to go through these steps to enter the new password.
Go to Preferences-->Accounts. Make sure you select the UCI account on the left and then click the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) pulldown menu. Then, select Edit SMTP Server List.
In the window that appears, make sure you select the UCI account up above and then down below, verify that Server Name reads smtp.uci.edu and TLS Certificate says None.
Then click on the Advanced tab.
- Make sure Automatically detect & maintain account settings is checked
- Port number is 587 and make sure the box for Use SSL is checked
- Authentication is set to Password
- Make sure Allow insecure authentication is unchecked
- Verify your UCInetID is in the username field
- Carefully back out and re-enter your UCInetID password
Click OK to close the window and then close the Account Settings window.