LastPass Enterprise is a password management tool created to securely store usernames, passwords, and other data as well. LastPass offers a place to store your information in one place without needing to remember login information for a large number of accounts. The tool also offers the option to generate random passwords and share them as well. Strong passwords deter people with malicious intent from breaking into an account and stealing your information.
Need to reset your Master Password? Start the Account Recovery process.
Before proceeding, please note:
- You must be enrolled in the Duo Multifactor Authentication service to complete the setup. If you have not yet enrolled your mobile phone with Duo, please visit the Duo service page to get started, and then come back to these instructions.
- If you already have LastPass installed on your computer with a different account, log out of that account first before proceeding; otherwise, when you attempt to activate your new LastPass Enterprise account, it will fail with an error telling you that you must first sign out of your other accounts. If you already signed out of the account but are still seeing this error, clear your cookies and try again. You can learn how to do this by visiting our Browser Troubleshooting knowledge base articles.
Ready? Let's get started!
- Visit https://applications.oit.uci.edu/LastPass/ to request an account. The system will send you a Welcome email shortly.
- Once you get the email, select the Activate LastPass button near the bottom and you'll be taken to the LastPass website.
- Follow the instructions to create a Master Password for your account. Create a strong, yet memorable password that you've never used before. Try using phrases or lyrics from your favorite movie or song. LastPass has a great article on their site that explains how to pick a great Master Password.
- A Congratulations message will appear and will ask you to install the LastPass browser extension. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- After you install the browser extension, select the LastPass icon in your browser's toolbar (in the upper right corner of your browser, the icon is a red square with three white dots, like this. Log in to LastPass with your email address in the format UCInetID@uci.edu and your LastPass Master Password.
- Next, you'll be taken to the Setup Duo Security screen. Enter your email address in the format UCInetID@uci.edu and then your LastPass Master Password, and then select the Begin Enabling Duo Security button.
- When prompted for your "Duo Security username", enter just your UCInetID and then select OK.
- You'll see another Congratulations message. It'll ask once again to install the browser extension. You can ignore that message if you've already installed it.
- Now, select the LastPass icon in your browser's toolbar (in the upper right corner of your browser, the icon is a red square with three white dots, like this. Log in to LastPass with your email address in the format UCInetID@uci.edu and your LastPass Master Password.
- A Duo push notification will be sent to your mobile device to log in. Check the box "Trust this computer for 30 days" if you're the only person who uses this computer (do NOT select if you share your computer with other users).
- Now, select the LastPass icon again and select Open my vault. You are now able to access your password vault and add items.
Below is a brief summary of many of the features available in LastPass. For more detailed information, please consult the LastPass Enterprise User Guide. In addition, there are a number of helpful LastPass Videos.
On the top left-hand side, there is a section for more options that list:
- This page will have your stored usernames and passwords. By hovering over the Add Site button on the bottom right-hand side, there will be options to Add New Folder, Share Item, Add Secure Note, and Add Site.
- The Add Site pop-up box will appear when you press on the Add Site option:
- Users will be able to store websites that require a username and password as shown above.
- Secure Notes
- This page will store Secure Notes. By hovering over the Add Secure Note button on the bottom right-hand side, the options to Add New Folder and Share Item show up.
- Pressing the Add Secure Note icon will make the Add Note box pop-up
- NOTE: For any type of sensitive data, follow your department's policies on how to safely protect this type of data.
- Form Fills
- This page stores the saved form fills for visited sites. To add an entry through this page, click on the Add Form Fill button on the bottom right-hand side.
- The Form Fill option allows users to save login information for websites. When they return to the site, the user can click on the LastPass icon in the login box like so:
- The icon has three white dots on a dark gray background. It has the number one on the bottom right hand corner in the example above.
This option is useful for those who do not wish to type in their password every time they log into a website and for those who have many websites they need to log into.
- Sharing Center
- This page has the Manage Shared Folders, Shared with Others, and Shared with Me tabs. Create a new shared folder by clicking on the bottom right-hand side button.
- The Create New Shared Folder box will pop-up:
- Once a folder name is chosen and the Create button is pressed, the folder will show up in the Sharing Center.
- Individual users can be added to have access to the folder. Their permissions can be managed by hovering over the folder and pressing the manage button. This will show up on the left-hand side of the Manage Shared Folders pop-up box:
- Shared folders are useful for individuals working on a project together or for those in the same group with shared access to certain accounts.
- For example, Jennifer from Accounting would like to share passwords with other users on her team. Those individuals would need to have a LastPass Enterprise account as well so they sign-up for one. Once their accounts have been set-up, Jennifer heads over to the Sharing Center to create a folder titled “Accounting Group”. She then shares it to the individuals giving them the permissions they need.
- Security Challenge
- Clicking this tab will bring you to a new page that will calculate your password security score.
- When the "Show My Score" button is clicked, your master password will need to be re-entered. Once that's done, your password security score will be calculated and shown. The criteria that are being checked include:
- Compromised Passwords
- Weak Passwords
- Reused Passwords
- Old Passwords
On the bottom left-hand side, there is a section that lists:
- Link Account
- Link Account allows someone to link a personal LastPass account. What this means is that your personal account will appear in a sub-folder in the Enterprise. An administrator will not see what is stored in the personal account.
- Account Settings
- This is where account settings can be configured. Some of the tabs listed are Multifactor options, Trusted Devices, Mobile Devices, etc.
- More Options
- A side tab will show up and will have two Options:
- Advanced: This tab lists several options such as import or export passwords, view the History of using LastPass, set up One Time Passwords, Generate Secure Passwords, etc.
- Help: This tab offers links to LastPass's Help Center, the User Manual, Tutorials on using LastPass, and a Vault Tour.
- A side tab will show up and will have two Options:
Clicking on the dropdown at the top-right shows:
- Account Settings
- Account Settings can be changed here.
- Help Center
- Clicking on Help Center leads you to LastPass's documentation.
- Attend Webinar
- A user is able to attend an online webinar by registering here.
- This option will log out a user out of their account.